The Skills Development Scotland (SDS)
corporate strategy sets out the ambitions for 2012/2015. As
well as outlining what SDS will be doing for individuals
and employers (Goals 1 and 2), it explains how SDS
will do it (Goals 3 and 4). The SDS strategy map provides
a summary of priorities for that period.
Our vision is of a Scotland in which individuals and businesses
are supported by a skills and learning system that helps them to
reach their potential in contributing to sustainable economic
What's the purpose of SDS?
SDS helps the skills and learning system to better respond
to the needs of the economy, and to help individuals and businesses
access the right learning and skills development opportunities.
- More individuals with the skills they need to progress
effectively in their working and learning lives
- Individuals have access to improved opportunities that support
them to progress within the world of work
- Employers are more involved in developing the skills of their
- The supply of skills responds more to the needs of
- Our customers find it easy to use SDS services
- Our services are better aligned with those of our partners
- We have a strong positive reputation with customers and
- Our services are effective and make sustainable use of our
What we do for our customers / what we
Goal 1: Enabling People to Meet Their
- Deliver for Scotland a modern, integrated, and holistic
CIAG service that empowers individuals to manage their
- Deliver intensive support to those who need it most,
particularly young people, to enable them to raise their
aspirations and move more successfully between learning and work
Goal 2: Making Skills Work for Employers
- Improve the way the skills and learning system responds to the
needs of employers.
- Simplify the process of accessing training and getting involved
with the skills and learning system.
How we do it / support it
Goal 3: Working Together to Improve the Skills and
- Work with national and local partners to improve, further
integrate and make more accessible the services we deliver in
response to the needs of individuals and employers.
Goal 4: Achieving Organisational Excellence
- Make sure our business practices are efficient, effective and
- Make the best use of the strength of our people.